Tuesday, November 16, 2010

First Lunch Out Since Surgery

I went to lunch with some co-workers today.  It was my first lunch out (heck first 'anything' out) since surgery (only one of them knows about the surgery).

I skipped on the appetizer they ordered -- this was nothing new because I was skipping on those before surgery, plus they ordered something I didn't like anyway.  Nearly all of them ordered Greek pizzas (did I mention it was Greek restaurant?); one ordered a salad and I ordered a bowl of vegetarian chili.

I chose the chili because of the beans (protein).  I was going to get the humous appetizer, but figured the chili was a better 'cover' dish and it didn't raise questions like "you're only getting an appetizer for lunch?".  I ate about a quarter of the bowl, had three nibbles (the size of a dime) of the pita that was on the side, and I was full and done.  And happily, no questions from everyone else who cleared their plates of the pizzas / salad.  I'm sure as time goes on I'll venture into ordering the app. for lunch, but for now, on the first lunch outing, I wanted to play it safe.

So, come to find out, I stressed about the first work lunch outing for nothing.  We go to lunch together pretty often too.  I hope the next restaurant that we pick will be just as easy.  We typically go to Middle Eastern, Thai or Chinese restaurants.  The Thai and Chinese places offer many tofu options too - so more good protein choices.

No comments: